Friday, August 9, 2013

Bulusan flora documentation starts with a modest gallery at PhytoImages


One of the many species of  Pandanaceae family in Bulusan
Bulusan biodiversity is hands down the richest in the Province of Sorsogon. Surprisingly no documentation of its existing flora can be accessed in the web or in any publication. An interview with a leading NGO in the municipality confirmed  this observation.


In this light, I have decided to speed up my gallery of plant photographs from Bulusan, my hometown, with each plant correspondingly identified and curated by PhytoImages' pool of experts.

For those interested to view the gallery, you may visit this page at Phytoimages.

The above photo of a Bulusan pandan species is included in the gallery. More photos are lined up for uploading in the next few days hopefully with the known scientific identification ready.

Photo: Alma P. Gamil
Bulusan, Sorsogon, Philippines


2 comments:

  1. Good Day Maam Alma,

    I am Kim Christopher Aganda, a graduate student form the university of Santo Tomas. I saw your post regarding the pandanus plant that may be found in bulusan. I am currently researching the pandanus species, some parts of my research will require that I study a live plant. Therefore I am planning to acquire some pandanus plant as part of the study (around 6 species). I understand that some of these pandans grow very big so I am targeting small to medium sized plants or younger pandan plant. I would like to inquire if you happen to know where i can buy pandanus plant? I will greatly appreciate any help that I can get.

    Thank you for your time

    Respectfully,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Bulusan, pandan seedlings/suckers for planting are not usually for sale (if not in bulk). These are given freely by farm patches'owners with existing groves of karagumoy a pandan species utilized for making hats by locals. The leaves however are for sale per hundred.
    Bariw, another pandan for handicrafts is harvested from the wild.
    Btw, what particular pandanus species are you currently researching? I mean, the purpose, culinary or handicrafts?
    Pandan for cooking is available in Manila.

    You are welcome, Kim!

    ReplyDelete