Monday, February 18, 2013

Unusual mini iguana in Bulusan



This morning while I was having breakfast of pan de sal and brewed dark barako coffee, Loida, my sister-in-law, excitedly showed me an unusual ‘tabili’ (wild lizard) relative she rescued from their farm. The farm cat made it into a toy and the lizard was almost unconscious from the dragging and toying of the cat at play by the time she came into the rescue. 

At first she taught that it was just an ordinary tabili, she said. But upon closer look the creature reveals some unusual traits.  Very long tail. Green specks on its upper part. Serrated dorsal ridge. Limbs with long set of fingers and claws.











Knowing that I am into photography of the unusual flora and fauna, she wrapped the semi conscious ‘tabili’ relative with a gabi leaf and brought the poor little iguana-like creature for my scrutiny. 

I carefully took the unusual lizard to the top floor azotea to find a place for the fauna. I unwrapped the gabi leaves and lo and behold it was very much alive. It did not jump and run but instead looked at me with steady eyes. Lifting up its head I felt like I am the one being studied. The creature just stood their unmoving giving me the best opportune time to take these photographs.

I am not a lizard expert.  Anybody out there who could identify this lizard will be much appreciated.

After the photo session the unusual lizard jumped over to the kalunggay tree near the railings of our azotea. I whispered my thanks to the little iguana  as it hopped around to the tree branches with its long claws so perfectly adapted for clinging in tree tops while the long tail balances its every movement.


Photographs by Alma P. Gamil
Bulusan, Sorsogon, Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment